Red Carnelian Gemstone: History, Properties, Folklore and Uses
A silicon deposit of the mineral ‘Chalcedony’, Carnelian gemstone is considered Semi Precious Gemstone Tiles and is recognizable for its dark brown-red color due to the presence of iron oxide within its composition. The stone is traced back as a birth stone meant for the zodiac signs Leo and Virgo. The stone predominates from the ‘Quartz’ family and originally was called ‘cornelian’ due to its cherry red color which was analogous to the fruit ‘cornel cherry’.
Geological History of the Carnelian Gemstone: Back in the late centuries, this stone was unearthed in the Bronze Age, so early that the time dates back till the 1800 BC. The main extracts come from Australia in Garie Beach Queensland, Austria, Botswana, China and Brazil already holds repute for famous gemstone excavations. Even in India you can find carnelian dredges as well as traces in Africa, Russia is found to abound in major deposits.
Properties of the Carnelian Gemstone:
- The chemical and physical property of ‘Carnelian’ differentiates it from another gemstone called ‘sard’ which is also found as mineral sediment of quartz, and is harder and tougher than the Carnelian.
- The stone was formerly called ‘Red Carnelian Agate‘ and is prominent in the form of deep red, dark brown and white shades.
- Sporting a molar mass of around 60g/mol it preserves a crystal system which comes under the category of the ‘Trigonal’.
- It possesses a fracture which is uneven, conchoidal and jagged. When measured on the Mohr’s Scale, the tenacity is measured around 6-7 and maintains a specific gravity of about 2.69-2.61.
- This translucent gemstone undergoes artificial heating such that the color can be deepened for better commercial sale.
Folklore and Legends of the Carnelian Gemstone:
- Since centuries this stone holds a chief significance with respect to its historical myths and beliefs. It was the Egyptians who believed the stone to have healing properties, some which are witnessed for zodiacs of Leo and Virgo.
- The therapeutic convictions talk about the stone being beneficial for blood circulation and produce a positive perspective towards life within an individual.
- Is said to stop bleeding and treat wounds. The Greeks believed the stone to prevent spirits and evil energy from affecting the wearer whereas the Asians native to Tibet and India treated the stone to be a lucky charm which would bring fame, fortune and protection as its charm.
Uses of the Carnelian Gemstone: The stone is popularly used in a home decor in the form of countertops, interiors and tabletop, the stone can be used in any form of home decor and therefore has become commercially very popular amongst the masses. The very reason that the Carnelian stone is considered spiritual due to its relevance for medical support as well the high name it holds for being a stone of beauty and charm, its production has increased to a ten-fold thereby promoting more countries to extract this stone, one of them being Madagascar which is another land of its deposits.
Looking to find the best deal on Red Carnelian Gemstone beads, then visit gemsculpture.com to find the best advice on Carnelian gemstone for you.